Pistachios contain many important nutrients and vitamins. They are shown to be beneficial in heart health and weight management according to several double-blind studies.
They are an excellent source of copper, thiamine, phosphorus and magnesium. They contain many B vitamins; one serving contains 20% of your daily dose of Vitamin B6, about 15% DV of thiamine, and have lesser amounts of folate, biotin, riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. They also contain l-arginine, which can make the lining of your arteries more flexible.
“Pistachios supply vitamins A and E, both critical in keeping inflammatory pathways in balance. Inflammation is the first stage of healing, but when the body contains too few antioxidants, the inflammatory process can damage tissues rather than heal them.”
One study quoted that “After only three weeks of consuming pistachios as 20% of the calories in their diet, the volunteers in a double-blind study saw their LDL (or bad cholesterol) drop by about 14%; HDL (or good cholesterol) rose by 26%, with a 12% decrease in total cholesterol.”
So get your daily dose of pistachios in the form of a delicious cookie.
- 1 cup pistachio flour*
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut oil or vegan shortening
- 2 tablespoons honey/agave nectar/or maple syrup**
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Combine almond flour, pistachio flour, salt, baking soda, and spices in a bowl or food processor.
- If using a food processor, pulse in shortening/oil, honey and vanilla until dough forms. If you don’t have a food processor, simply use a whisk to combine ingredients until they form a dough.
- Scoop dough one level tablespoon at a time onto a parchment lined baking sheet
- Press balls of dough down gently
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes
- Place in the refrigerator to cool before frosting. (Do not handle prior or cookies will break)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter***
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 3 Tbs. maple syrup (or another liquid sweetener)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Use immediately to frost each cookie, and serve.
- If you have remain frosting, store in an airtight container in the fridge. HOWEVER, frosting will become hard and will be unable to be spread until it reaches room temperature.